In edit mode the Edit actions button allows you to add buttons that link to URLs or that run SCOM agent tasks.
Internal Link and Web Link
On dashboards and perspectives internal link can be used to link to a SquaredUp dashboard and web link can be used to add any URL.
Web links should include the http:// or https:// prefix. These links will open in a new tab by default.
Internal links to other SquaredUp dashboards should be the URL following /SquaredUpv5/. For example, to link to the main Enterprise Application dashboard use /page/dashboard-enterprise-applications
Tasks on perspectives
When you view a perspective a task button will be available, which allows you to select and run a SCOM task on the object you are viewing.
The list of tasks available is the similar to that on the tasks pane in the SCOM console, and depends on the object that is being viewed and the management packs that are installed.
The edit action option allows you to add your own button to run one of these tasks
For example, for a web application you will see Stop Application pool among the list of tasks available, whereas for an IIS web server you will have List application pools, among others.
Take care to add task buttons to a relevant perspective so the button doesn't appear for objects where it will not run. For example, if you add the Display Server Statistics task to a button on the Monitored Entity perspective then it will show for all objects, but when if you try to run it when you are viewing an application you will get a task failed error message because server statistics cannot be shown for an application.
Only users with the correct SCOM access will be able to run the task.
Tasks on dashboards
You can also add a task button to a dashboard, but you must first search for and specify an object for the task to be run on, before choosing the task:
5 minute Video
You may like to watch this 5 minute video 'Dashboard actions' describes how to create and edit actions on a dashboard or perspective:
How to add a task action button for a perspective
- In SquaredUp browse to the dashboard or perspective where you wish to add the action button. For this walkthrough browse to a server.
- Click on the perspective where you wish to add the task button, for example the Windows Server perspective.
- Click the edit this dashboard button to go into edit mode:
- Click on the Edit actions button:
- In the Perspective Actions pane click on the add button:
- From the task to execute list select the task you wish to run, for example List Update History (Data On Demand).
- Go back to the display name box and give the button a suitable name based on the task you chose:
- Click done for this task button.
- Click done when you have finished adding all buttons:
- Click the edit this dashboard button to come out of edit mode, and you will see your newly added button:
- Run the task and the task results will show at the top of the page:
- Publish the changes so others can see the new button. Only users with the correct SCOM access will be able to run the task.
You may also be interested in the SCOM Task tile which allows you to show the results of a SCOM agent task in a tile. The SCOM Task tile will refresh as the dashboard refreshes (by default every minute), as opposed to the task action button which is only run when the button is clicked.