The Monitors tile displays the health state of monitors that use the object in the scope as their target.
The Monitors tile will show monitor icons as shown here:
Monitors are used in SCOM to determine health information and make sure items are working within predefined thresholds. When a threshold is hit the monitor can raise an alert, and the monitor can change the health state of an object. Rules can also raise alerts, but cannot change the health state of an object, see Rule vs monitor alerts.
There are a three types of monitors in SCOM:
- Unit monitors - measure something, such as how much free disk space there is on drive C:
- Dependency rollup monitors - used for rolling up the health state of members to the group health state.
- Aggregate rollup monitors are not displayed by the Monitors tile.
Monitors can be in any one of four states:
Green - Healthy
Yellow - Warning. For example a monitor might be configured so that when a disk goes below 10% free space the monitor goes yellow and an alert is raised.
Red - Critical. If the free space goes below 5% the monitor may be configured to go red, and a critical alert be raised.
Grey - Unknown/uninitialized. A grey circle shows that this monitor does not currently have a health state.
The Monitors tile will display monitors that target the class of object you use in the scope. You will need to specify the correct object in the scope in order to see the monitors you want. If the monitor you want is not shown, check the configuration of the monitor in SCOM, and look at the monitor target.
The Monitors tile will only display Unit monitors and Dependency rollup monitors.
If you want to display only one particular monitor, use the scope > list option and enter the name of one object, such as a server or database, then in monitors > filter type the name of the monitor to display.
The Monitors tile can be used on a dashboard or a perspective. This walkthrough shows you how to add a Monitors tile to a dashboard.
- In SquaredUp browse to an object whose monitor(s) you would like to add to a tile. For this walkthrough, search or browse for a database.
Click on the Monitored Entity perspective to view the list of monitors available.
- In another tab (perhaps duplicate the tab) click the + button on the navigation bar. A new dashboard is created.
Give the dashboard a title, by replacing the text that says New Dashboard.
The dashboard is saved as you go along so there's no need to save your changes. You can find your dashboard by clicking on the right-hand menu ☰ > system > drafts.
- A new tile has already been added to the dashboard. Edit the title by overwriting the placeholder value New tile with your own tile title, such as the name of the database.
The tile selector will already be open. Click Monitors.
Next, we need to scope the tile. In the scope section select list then type the name of the object for which you wish to see the monitors, and then click on object from the results. For this walkthrough add the database that you browsed to in step 1.
Monitors will only be shown that use the object in the scope as their target. SquaredUp supports Unit and Dependency rollup monitor types only. Aggregate rollup monitors, such as the entity health monitor, will not display.
Monitor icons should appear after a moment. You could stop here, but we'll continue to configure the tile.
- In the monitors section click on filter.
In the choose monitors box type any word from the name of the monitor that you want to display. Click on the monitor in the list displayed. If you wish you can type a new search word and select more than one monitor to display.
- Click next and leave the filters section as it is.
Click done and your Monitors Icons tile will look something like this:
You can toggle between list, column and tile views using the toggle zoom button at the top right of the tile: