How to put a perspective into dashboard mode
If a particular perspective is the only view a user typically needs to see for an object, or if it is intended to be shown on a non-interactive wall monitor, then you can choose to show a perspective as a full-page dashboard in dashboard mode.
The advantages of setting dashboard mode are that it:
- Hides the perspective ribbon by default. (Users can click a button at the top right of the screen to temporarily view or hide the perspectives ribbon).
- Makes it the default perspective users see when drilling down to the object. This gives users the same experience regardless of how they arrive there, whether it’s from clicking on the navigation bar, searching for the object, or drilling down from another object.
- Shows the perspective name rather than the object name.
When creating a perspective you should consider the following:
- Create your new perspective in the correct location. When you add tiles to the perspective the scope of these tiles will be relative to the chosen object, for example you can show children or parents of the chosen object.
- You can only hide the perspective ribbon when the perspective is set to match for this object only in the perspective settings.
- You can’t hide the perspectives ribbon (i.e. enable dashboard mode) for more than one perspective that applies to a single object.
We are going to create a perspective scoped to a SCOM Distributed Application (DA), and hide the perspectives ribbon for this perspective. In this walkthrough I have a DA called Sales App.
In the search at the top right of Squared Up type in
Distributed Applicationsin the results.
On the Distributed Application page click on the DA for which you wish to create a new perspective.
On the perspectives ribbon click the + to create a new perspective.
Give your perspective a title.
Under the heading Match for tick this object only.
Under the heading View Mode tick as dashboard (option available in Squared Up v3.1 onwards) to select dashboard mode.
Add the tiles you require, for example a Status Tile scoped to show children will show the group members:
Click Publish and then Publish again.
If you would also like your perspective to appear on the navigation bar you can tick add perspective to navigation bar. For more information on this option see How to add a perspective to the navigation bar
In the search at the top right of Squared Up type in the name of the DA for which you just created a new perspective, for example
Click on your DA in the results. You will be taken straight to your new perspective in dashboard mode. Note that the perspectives ribbon is hidden.
Click on the Exit dashboard mode button at the top right of the screen to temporarily show the perspectives ribbon.
What is a Perspective?