Authentication with the System Center Operations Manager server was unsuccessful
A user sees the following message when trying to logon:
"Authentication with the System Center Operations Manager server was unsuccessful"
This message means that either:
- The user trying to log on is not a SCOM user and is therefore unable to authenticate against the SCOM SDK.
- The SCOM server specified is incorrect or inaccessible and therefore Dashboard Server cannot communicate with the SCOM SDK.
If others users can log in:
Check that this user is a SCOM user. Check in Active Directory Users and Computers that this user is a member of a group that has permissions to access SCOM. Commonly used roles include Administrator and Read-Only Operator, but users with other roles - such as Read-Only Operator, Operator, Advanced Operator and Author - may also log on, see Who can log on to Dashboard Server?.
If no one can log in:
Check that the SCOM server specified is correct and that the System Center Data Access Service is running on that server:
- On the SCOM server open Server Manager > Tools > Services and right-click on the System Center Data Access Service and click start or restart. Then test again.
Run notepad as administrator (File, Run, type
notepad, and then right-click and select Run as administrator) and then open the
scom.jsonfile that is in your Dashboard Server folder in the following path:
...\User\Configuration\scom.jsonWhere to find the Dashboard Server folder
Name of the Dashboard Server folder
The name of the Dashboard Server folder is
SquaredUpvfollowed by the
product version number.
Location of the Dashboard Server folder
The default location for the Dashboard Server folder is
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SquaredUpv[Version Number], but a custom location may have been chosen during the installation.
For example, for Dashboard Server v5 the default folder location is
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SquaredUpv5and for v4
If you are using high availability (HA) check the
scom.jsonon any SquaredUp server.
Update the value next to
server-addressto the correct SCOM server name, for example:
SCOMServer01should be replaced by your SCOM server name.
- Save the file.
- Recycle the Dashboard Server application pool in IIS in your SquaredUp server(s).
- Check that you can log in to Dashboard Server.